Whitening is the process of removing discoloration in the structure of the teeth (enamel and dentin layer). There are currently two different bleaching methods known. The first of these is a method that the patient can apply on their own (home bleaching). The second is office bleaching, which is performed by your doctor in the clinic.
What are the stages of bleaching?
- The physician takes impressions from the mouth and prepares thin rubber molds that you can wear over the teeth,
- The patient should place the medicine in a special mold prepared for him/her and wear this mold on the teeth to be whitened for at least 6 - 8 hours a day. It is preferable to wear it at night during sleep. If sensitivity is high, the time can be reduced to 3-4 hours.
- Whitening treatment should be continued for an average of 1 - 2 weeks and should be completed at the end of 2 weeks.
- The bleaching medication is placed on the tooth by a physician experienced in this procedure.
- A white light source is shone on the tooth for a certain period of time.
- When the procedure is finished, the whitening result can be observed immediately.
Although both methods are effective, the choice depends on the degree of discoloration, how quickly the treatment is desired to be terminated and the opinion of the physician.
How white do teeth get?
The result of whitening depends on the response of the teeth, it is difficult to say the exact whiteness that will be achieved. Teeth with yellow tones can easily whiten 6 - 8 shades, while teeth with gray tones are more difficult to whiten. Your dentist will give you information about how much your teeth can be whitened in the first session.
What should be considered in the bleaching process?
Teeth may feel sensitivity during the bleaching process. This sensitivity will disappear when the bleaching process is stopped. If the teeth are aching, the doctor will apply desensitizers to the teeth to relieve the sensitivity complaint.
Avoiding foods containing food dyes and coloring for 7-10 days after bleaching (colored candies, coffee, tea, cigarettes) will ensure that the whiteness of your teeth will last longer.